Shekou Weekend, 18-19 May, 2013
There’s a Shek Kong Hash weekend in Shekou coming up that may be of interest to some. Basically it consists of a Saturday afternoon waterfront ride of 20km from Futian (Lok Ma Chau) to Shekou, an evening on the town starting at the new Snake Pit, and a hash on Sunday afternoon in Futian using not a single public vehicular road and including shiggy. There are options to ride back from Shekou to Futian on Sunday or not to ride at all and just go over for the Saturday night booze-up and the Sunday hash. Remember that if you’re not Chinese you’ll need a visa.
Saturday, May 18
Riders cross border at Futian for 20km coastal ride to the Snake Pit’s new premises
Others join riders at Snake Pit
Night out at Sea World
Sunday, May 19
Riders ride back to Futian
Others take metro or taxi to Children’s Palace station
Hash by hare Beer Tits and SPs Luk Sup Gow and Golden Balls
On on at nearby restaurant
All return to Hong Kong
Options for riders
- Ride to Snake Pit, take refreshment, ride back to Futian / Hong Kong (no stay)
- Ride to Snake Pit, night out in Shekou*, ride to Futian next day for hash**
- Ride to Snake Pit, night out in Shekou, take Metro / taxi to hash with bike
Options for runners / non-runners
- Go to Snake Pit by Metro or bus***, night out in Shekou, go to Futian for hash
- Sunday afternoon go to Futian for hash (no stay)
* The nominated hotel is the Fuzon Hotel, which is about 100m from Shuiwan Metro station, 200m from the Snake Pit and 1km (or 1 metro stop) from Sea World. It’s new, clean and has a coffee shop and bar. Nearby there are other restaurants and bars. Riders that stay simply stow their bikes in their rooms. You can book through Agoda or C-Trip – both have rates at around HK$400 for a twin/double. Google “fuzon hotel shekou” and the first two entries are Agoda and C-Trip.
** The run starts at Children’s Palace metro station on the Longhua Line. From the hotel take the Shekou Line, Shuiwan station, to Futian or Civic Center, then change to the Longhua Line for one stop to Children’s Palace. For those just going for the Sunday, take the Longhua Line from Futian Checkpoint four stops to Children’s Palace. Note that Futian Checkpoint is a different station to Futian. For those with bikes, we have checked with the Metro and bikes can be taken on trains. As in Hong Kong, the front wheel must be removed.
***For most people the best way is to take the MTR to Lok Ma Chau station then walk over the pedestrian bridge to Futian. When you pass immigration you are delivered directly to Futian Checkpoint station. Take the Longhua Line 3 stops north to Civic Center, then change to the Shekou Line. Take this all the way to Shuiwan station. Check in to the hotel and stroll on down to the Snake Pit. You can also take the bus from Tuen Mun / Yuen Long to Shekou and make your own way to the hotel (Sea World is one metro stop from Shuiwan station). Taxi from Futian is a quicker option. Map: